The Institute was founded in 1927, by the philanthropist Luigi Ronzoni, who dedicated it to the memory of his mother Giuliana.
First established as an institute for post-graduate training in Industrial Chemistry, it acquired its actual structure as "Istituto Scientifico di Chimica e Biochimica G. Ronzoni", in 1941.
By Decree of the President of the Italian Republic (October 16, 1952), the Institute was incorporated as a private Non-profit Foundation, connected with the Ministry of Research.
The Institute's activities are entirely on a non-profit basis. They are financially supported by the Foundation endowment (incomes from real estate), by public and private research grants and contracts, and private donations.